Home Our Menu Private Dining Tap Room The Terrace

About The Coach House

Autorule.gif (377 bytes)

ABOUT
 Foster’s Coach House

The Village Tavern was originally built in 1890 by Walter Decker and served as the local gathering spot for the consumption of alcoholic beverages. The convenient location at the “four corners” of Rhinebeck’s commercial district made the Tavern a success. A regular customer of the Tavern was Col. Jacob Ruppert, owner of the New York Yankees from 1915-1939. In 1941, Wally Foster bought the Tavern and christened it Foster’s Coach House. Mr. Foster was the driving force behind the revival of horse shows at the Dutchess County Fair and amassed a large collection of horse-related and racing memorabilia. Extensive remodeling during the 1950’s provided the blueprint for the existing interior. The horse country theme employed by Wally Foster is marked by stalls, a tack room, racing prints and iconography, and a coach originally owned by Levi P. Morton, Vice President of the United States under Benjamin Harrison as well as Governor of New York in the late 1800’s. Today the coach can be seen in the front dining room. 

Foster’s Coach House was purchased in 1965 by Bob and Karen Kirwood. Bob and Karen shaped Foster’s through their own determination and good nature, and made the landmark a household name throughout the Hudson Valley. A bartender by trade, Mr. Kirwood was awarded the “Best Restaurant” designation by Hudson Valley Magazine for many years running. Bob created the core menu for Foster’s that is still mostly intact today. Further, he operated the Fairgrounds Restaurant at the Dutchess County Fair. If success is measured by the number of community members that remember you fondly, then Bob was immensely successful.

Today, the Kirwood legacy lives on in Bob’s daughter, Phoebe, the current owner of Foster’s Coach House. Phoebe has added interior design touches of her own while leaving the original idea intact. She has developed a team of loyal culinarians and front of house staff ably carrying on the tradition of great, fresh food and friendly service.

Foster’s Coach House is located in Rhinebeck’s Historic District at 6411 Montgomery Street. Open Wednesdays through Sundays.

Autorule.gif (377 bytes)

The Coach!.jpg (78007 bytes)

Bob Kirwood

Original Watering Trough

Autorule.gif (377 bytes)

Open Wednesday to Saturday - 11:00AM to 12:00AM
Sunday - Noon to 10:00PM

Foster's Coach House Tavern
6411 Montgomery Street
Rhinebeck, N.Y.     12572
Phone: (845) 876 - 8052
Fax: (845) 876 - 0878

Top of Page